Friday, April 16, 2010

Speech

N's articulation is very poor. So poor that sometimes i don't even understand what he is saying. His expressive language is also lagging behind. :( It's really worrying me, but hubby and i have decided to take a wait and see approach. Meanwhile, i am doing what i can to help him.

 I notice that N likes to stand by the fridge and mumble something, gesturing us to open it. When i ask him what he wants, he would say something which i sometimes cannot figure out (although i know exactly what he wants). So to help him, i printed out these sentences and put it up on the fridge. I got him to read it out for me (he has no problems reading) once through. The next time when he wants something from the fridge, i will get him to read aloud the sentence that represents his thoughts. I am trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone here. First, i hope by doing this, he now knows what to say if he wants something. Secondly, he gets to learn to read!

I don't know if this would work or if im doing it wrong. But im going to try and see. Cross fingers for me!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is my first time on your blog, and this particular post struck a chord with me. As a result, I read a good amount of your blog and I'd like to share my story with you. I have a son who turned 3 in March. Like you, I am very influenced by the work of Dr. Montessori, though, unlike you, I have not used flashcards. Regardless, my son has shown a strong aptitude in "academic" areas and was/is well beyond in this area than the other children around his age and even older. Only there was one thing... his speech was lacking. His expressive language was VERY poor. He knew how to ask for about 5 different things, usually a food item, but that was it (and it was only my husband and I who could figure out what he was saying). My son is extremely affectionate, but hadn't ever said "I love you" without a prompt. My husband and I had been assured by relatives that "he'll talk when he's ready" but after hearing that for a year and then some, you start to realize that something is amiss.

    There is much more I could share regarding my son's speech/communication, but I'm trying to keep this as short as I can. I'm not sure what services are offered in Singapore, but here (US) we have Early Intervention (a free service for children under 5) and now my son sees a speech therapist. There are more issues as well, but the main point I'd like to make is that if you (or any parent) has a concern about developmental delays, please seek the assistance of a pediatrician or a professional who can point you in the right direction. Maybe there won't be any issues, but you'll sleep better at night knowing it. If there is one regret I have, it's not doing this sooner because he's already making great progress.

    If you'd like to talk more about this with me (I only knew one mom who had an idea of what I went through, and it was wonderful to be able to talk with her about this), please feel free to contact me at spongeholder at gmail dot com. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails