Tuesday, December 14, 2010

$10 dollars and $2 dollars...

My counting money lessons were done quite haphazardly because it was done over dinner. I think its important i take this one step at a time in order not to confuse the boy.

First, i printed a few copies of each denomination.


Yes, these are fake money. I hope i won't get arrested. But i promise i won't take this out of the house and will shred it once my lesson is over. :P

I start with just the $10s and $2s


I took out a stack of $2s and asked N to give me $2, $4, $6, $8. This was a breeze for him.

Then i took out the $10 notes and asked him to give me $10, $20, $30...etc. Again, he did this easily.

I stepped it up and took out a $10 note and a couple of $2 notes. This time, i asked for $12, $14, $16, $18. This requires him to do a little mental sums. At first he was unsure, but after figuring out $12, he was able to do the rest.

Next, he had to figure out how much was $22, $24...$32, $34 etc.

Then i stopped. I had to before he gets too overwhelm by all the mental sums.

I'll probably keep doing this over and over until he is able to count these combinations with ease.


I find this activity perfect for N to revise his skip counting and mental calculations. I have been cracking my head how to show him when we skip count and this is just perfect!

3 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog but haven't had time to comment!!!!

    Again, I'm constantly amazed by your dedication and love for N! It shows that he is thriving!!

    I love love reading your blog. Just gives me so many ideas and inspiration!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - puts quite a twist to the phrase "printing money", huh? haha! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just me: nice to hear from you! I was wondering if everything's ok down under??

    karmeleon: muahahah so next time n can literally say 'my muumy prints money!'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails