Thursday, July 12, 2012

Poem



I love poems! I was introduced to poems during my secondary school days and i fell immediately in love with it. I love the rhythm and the rhyme.
So although I was skeptical about making sonshine memorise poems but i decided to give it a try anyway.


The first poem is 'The Caterpillar' by Christina Rosetti

First, i read the poem to sonshine and we talked about the content. Then i made him remember the first two lines of the poem. But to my surprise, he remembered the entire poem effortlessly all in one night.

But that's not the point. The key thing is, both mother & son had such a blast reading & reciting the poem! Sonshine enjoys reciting this poem and insist that i take turn to recite too! We really had alot of fun! Did i tell you we had A LOT of fun? Yes, it was THAT fun. :))

Some of the side activities i did as we read/recite this poem

1) Comprehension: i asked him simple questions like 'What color is the caterpillar?', 'Where is the caterpillar going?' etc

2) Speech & articulation: as he recites i work on his tone, speed of reading and pronunciation. He tends to rush by it. But i dare say he is near to perfection now! I don't know why, but it was such a proud moment having the boy stand in front of us reciting this poem so perfectly. Awww, that's my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails